In the past, on the slopes of the hill known as ‘A Plancha’, to your right, next to the boats at South Quay, were factories where conger eels were salted and cured, just like in Muxía. Caldeirón, on the other side of the isthmus, was another area where this flourishing industry was settled, now only remembered by the memories and pictures of Xurxo Alfeirán, a local historian. Produce was sold all over Spain and even in some European countries.
In the 1840’s, fisherwomen set up the last salting factory across the current Ramona Criado street, and between Cerca and Cruceiro streets, taking advantage of the abundance of anchovy. They worked exclusively for Rías Baixas, in the southern coast of Galicia.
In 1943, Modesto Ordóñez bought part of the factory commonly known as Fábrica do Catalán (Factory of the Catalan man) and later as Fábrica do Frixideiro (Frying Factory, so called because fish was fried there before pickling). He then refurbished it into a canning factory named ‘La Sisarguesa’. It was located in the block of houses where the current JB and Jofra bars are.